Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Wilds

Our last Ornitholgy trip was to the Wilds Nature Preserve. Check out the website for more info, I'm still not sure what they do!

The general idea is a conservation "zoo" built on old reclaimed strip mine land, very cool idea. You can go on an Ohio "safari" and see endangered animals from all over the world. I don't know how I feel about that part, I'm not really a zoo person. Anyways, the park covers over 3,000 acres of prairie habitat which is great to watch raptors and large birds. I saw all sorts of strange mammals, some zebra, giraffe, and from a mile away what appeared to be some man-bear-pig. It was sad to see all the autumn olive all over the hillsides, a nasty invasive, but the still the same because birds seem to like it. 
Northern Shrike

Northern Harrier
The first thing we saw were horned larks and eastern bluebirds. We saw some american goldfinch and two northern harriers which I speculate were a mating pair flying over a small pond. Some killdeer were down on the shore and 11 mallard ducks floating around in the water until we scared them off. The highlight of my trip was seeing a northern shrike, which impales its prey on sticks to mark its territorial boundaries! We also saw some american black ducks, many a canada goose, and a savanna sparrow up by the lookout.

American kestrel
We later saw a bunch of Buteo species, which are some of my favorites. Red tailed hawk were soaring around looking for prey. We also saw an american kestrel, a beautiful bird and a first for me. The wilds has a lot of small lakes and ponds and we saw all kinds of waterfowl, including some bufflehead, lesser scaup, dunlin, spotted sandpiper, and gadwell. It was also very cool to see a yellow bellied sapsucker on the side of an old barn.

I can definitely say that I will miss being around so many knowledgeable people, Dr. Miles and Susan have taught me a lot about birds! It was great to be around so many passionate people. I feel like I might just be fledged from the nest and now I can make it in the world of birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment